Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Magic Sticks - Coconut, Chocolate and Almond Biscotti

I used to go to Starbuck for a cup of coffee...the magic words are 'used to' because with the slow economy, I do have to stretch and pinch. Somehow, I could never resist their selection of biscotti. Originating from Italy, biscotti is essentially a type of biscuit. Unlike the chewy American kinds, biscotti is hard...sometimes as hard as rock. They are made without any eggs and the liquid comes from either butter or oil. The ones made with butter tend to go rancid faster. But the ones that use oil can be pretty hard to chew on. That's why they are great for dunking in hot coffee or latte.

Getting kind of bored with baking traditional cookies such as chocolate chips, vanilla or even oatmeal cookies, I decided it's time to venture to biscotti world. It's actually quite easy to make and taste heavenly but what put most people off is the fact that you have to bake it twice. And if you're not careful, you can end up with cookie crumble instead of slices of magic.

I had all the ingredients to make my favourite - Coconut, Chocolate and Almond Biscotti. I love the crunchy slices of shredded or flaked coconut, the yummy chocolate chips and bits of almonds peeping through. I made it with butter so I had no choice but to finish the whole tumbler fast. Shared them with hubby and colleagues and they all gave the thumbs up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment